cave canem

Cave Canem- Beware the Dog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Just Throw It Away

Just a silly little thought that I had.

 I always get stuck on the first chapters of my stories. I think that 90% of everything that I've written in my life had the words 'Chapter One' hovering over it somewhere. I can never just seem to get past that first hurdle and get into the story proper.

I was listening to this podcast. Something that they said, though I'm not sure what, reminded me of something that my voice teacher tells me all the time when I get stuck on a high note: "Just throw it away." That is, don't think about it, don't worry about it, just sing it quick and move on to the next note.

Okay, my first chapter might not be great. But if I ever want to progress with my story, I have to just throw it away so that I can move on to the next bit. And the great part about writing, as opposed to singing? I can go back anytime I want and give it another shot.

Not sure why this clicked in my head, but I just figured I'd share it. Hell, it might help someone else, too. If not, I'm sorry that I wasted your time with this. Here, let me make it up to you.

Hear the sound of your brain melting? That's the sound of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment